1. When a car accident occurs, you should always call the police. If you are injured you should ask for ambulance assistance as well. Immediately after you are in a car accident you have to make sure you reach out to authorities. If you do not document the incident it can be very hard to prove it even happened after the fact. If the other driver has left the scene call the police immediately. Make sure to get a full police report to document the accident.
2. One of the best things you can do is take photos of the scene. This will provide sufficient evidence that the car accident occurred and the other drivers involved. If you do not have a phone or camera to take photos ask another person involved or someone nearby and to send them to you. Take pictures like all vehicles involved in the crash, license plates, the location where the damage occurred, and any other images you feel could help your case. If there are nearby road signs or markings try and have images of those in the same photos as the crash.
3. The next best thing to help you is going to be eye witness testimony. Try getting names and contact information of all witnesses who may have saw the car crash. Ask if they would be willing to talk with the police to tell them what they saw.
4. If you are experiencing any pain after the accident even if you do not see any external wounds please consult with a doctor immediately. If you wait to long to see a doctor it will look as if you have not been injured.
5. Make sure you file a No-Fault form with the car insurance company within 30 days of your accident. This will ensure that your medical bills are noted for medical treatment due to the car accident. If you do not file with in the time frame you may be liable for all medical bills associated with the accident.
6. However, there is an exception. If you were working at the time of the car accidents you will need to file Workers Compensation, in this case you must notify your employer as well as the representative of Workers Compensation within 30 days of the accident. We would advise to still file the No-Fault so you have covered all bases.
7. If a driver is working with municipality, the municipality is notified of the refund (Notice of Claim). If this notice is not filed within a timely manner you may lose the right of bringing a lawsuit to the driver or municipality.
8. Statute of Limitations does apply to car accidents in Texas. You have two years by Texas law to file your claim. This takes place the day the accident occurred or the day your property was damaged.
9. With the exception of your doctors and next of kin, as long as you have hired a lawyer, do not tell or tell anyone about the accident, and especially the insurance company. Insurance companies are not on your side and are more concerned with saving money, rather than paying an insurance premium. Any statements you give may be subsequently used against your interests.
10. Immediately contact Abogado Servando with the McHazlett Law Firm. He will fight for your rights ands make sure you are taken care of. Call Now
McKinney, TX locations: (469) 952-6666
Tyler, TX location: (903) 630-5639
A criminal conviction can wreck your future. You can't afford to let an inexperienced attorney present your case. Turn to McHazlett Law for the representation you deserve.
Servando McHazlett has been a criminal defense lawyer since 1996. He's also a former prosecutor experience in misdemeanors and felonies and former part-time adjunct faculty in criminal law, evidence law, and business law. Clients choose him because they know they'll receive personalized attention and in-depth understanding of trial procedures.
As your criminal defense lawyer, he'll help you build a strong defense. Whether you'll be standing trial in state or federal court, you'll appreciate having attorney McHazlett on your side. Contact a drug lawyer or uncontested divorce lawyer today to schedule a consultation.
McHazlett Law is standing by to help you.
McHazlett Law has two locations. Make an appointment at whichever one is convenient for you. You can reach our McKinney, TX office at 469-952-6666 or our Tyler, TX office at 903-630-5639.
1200 West University Drive
McKinney, TX 75069
Phone: (469) 952-6666
310 S. Vine Street
Tyler, TX 75702
Phone: (903) 630-5639